January 7, 2016
It all started when I wanted something new for the mantel. I dragged Hubby all over town shopping for lanterns. We looked everywhere and couldn’t find anything we really loved. And we weren’t going to spend an arm and a leg for one either. Most of them were running around $30 each. Ugh! So, we came home empty handed.
I started googling and looking at Pinterest. I found some inspiration. Hubby and I put our heads together and this is what we came up with. And... It was all FREE!!
We were so happy with the way they came out! We decided to make 4 more as gifts for Christmas. That’s where we honed our lantern making skills! Omg... I just love them with those adorable red bows!! :)
Like I said earlier, all of the wood we used was scrap we had on hand. Some of it was old shelving, some was pallet wood and some of it was from the scrap bucket we have.
Hubby ripped old pallet wood into 3/4” lengths and we used some 1x6’s and some 2x8’s. Hubby cut the bases and tops into a square 5 1/2" X 5 1/2" and gave the edge a 45 degree angle with the table saw.
Then he cut the 2x8 into squares, I believe it was 4 1/2" X 4 1/2" and he also beveled that edge. Here are the pieces that make up the top. The little square block was from the scrap bucket.
He was a miter/table saw maniac. He went out to the garage to get started and a little while later I came out to help and he had all of THIS done!! He cut out all the frame pieces, 4 – 10" lengths then 8 – 3 1/4" lengths for each lantern. Do you see all of them stacked so neatly at the back of the photo? That equals to 16 - 10" frame pieces and 32 - 3 1/4" pieces, PLUS 4 bases and 4 complete tops! Whew! He busted those babies out!!
It was a cinch to assemble the frames! We glued, clamped, made sure it was pretty square then nailed it together with the nail gun.
The stack is done! It was like an assembly line!
Next we made the lantern “cube” part. Working together, we banged those out quick! Glue, clamp and nail again!
We also nailed the top pieces together. Some of the wood was a bit warped, so I caulked around the seams.
After everything was dry, I started nailing the frame to each base.
While I started painting, Hubby drilled a hole in the top square for the hook.
I didn’t want to sand, prime and paint. It was just a bit more than I was up for, but I heard you could make your own “chalky style paint” and that it’s supposed to stick like glue.
I thought I’d give it a try. I had some Plaster of Paris, which is one way you can make it. I just dumped some in a container and added some flat paint I had on hand. I didn't know what the ratio was supposed to be. The paint was very thick, kinda “foamy”. It was weird, but it worked great! The wood soaked it up. Here’s a close up of the paint. I gave it two good coats.
Hubby had some of this thick wire on hand. He bent it into a half circle and fit it into the top piece where he had drilled the holes.
I gave it a good sanding to smooth it out and distress it a bit. Then I sprayed them with a satin clear coat. Finished!
Omg! Again... that red bow!! :) Don’t they look adorable? We added an LED candle to them and attached a note describing how we are handcrafted by God.
We loved the way they came out! I think the recipients liked them too!
This is what 'our set' looked like on the mantel for Christmas. They were our first samples and I didn't paint them the same. You could even leave them natural for a different look.
And this is now... :)
I have been blogging for about 4 years and I enjoy sharing all the things that go on here at The Stonybrook House. From building to decorating, crafting and cooking, and so much more. I enjoy gardening and a healthy lifestyle. Most importantly I love The Lord Jesus my Savior and my wonderful hubby of 28 years!
you may also like
- ▼ 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (52)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (68)